Please see my questions below - I asked the PHP list and no-one
responded.

Basically I'm new to "mcrypt" and I'm trying to use mcrypt and
PHP with MySQL - I'd like to encrypt a 20-character field and
store the result in a MySQL column, but I'm not sure

  1. what data type to make the column - varchar?
  2. how big to make the column

I'm testing using Triple DES encryption, and the resulting
string contains all kinds of strange characters - I'm able to
store the field using the PHP add_slashes function to escape
a few special characters, but in the "mysql" client when I
query the row containing the encrypted field, mysql displays
a bunch of strange characters - I can refer to the row by the
non-encrypted key although the same key does *NOT* display
properly in mysql(the encrypted column must be screwing up
the displayi).

Anyone have any ideas how to help?

TIA.

--