Greetings,

        I'm having a little trouble understanding how the permissions work
within mySQL.  I have 3 current databases.  The first is the default mysql
database, and the other 2 are ones that I have created.  I want to be able
to grant access to each table individually based on username.  Hostname
isn't really a big deal to me because of the firewalls.  Basically, if they
can get to the database server, then they belong there.  But, I want to
limit what they can get to via username.

        So, I tried the following :

insert into user (host, db, user, select_priv, insert_priv, update_priv,
delete_priv) values ('%', 'myuser', password('mypass'), 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y');
insert into db (host, db, user, select_priv, insert_priv, update_priv,
delete_priv) values ('%', 'database1', 'myuser', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y');
insert into db (host, db, user, select_priv, insert_priv, update_priv,
delete_priv) values ('%', 'mysql', 'myuser', 'N', 'N', 'N', 'N');
flush privileges;

I *thought* this would allow access to database1, and not mysql, but
apparently I was wrong...  I can still access the mysql database, make
changes, etc. without any restrictions.

What am I doing wrong???!!!???

Also..  Is there a way to allow a user to connect to the mySQL server, not
specifying a database (this is via Perl and DBI), and get a list of
databases that they have permissions to?  (What I'd like to do is let them
list all db's except those they have no permissions on...)  I have it
working so that they can list all the databases, but it will list everything
on the server..  (This may be a moot point when I get actual permissions to
work...)

Jason H. Frisvold
Senior ATM Engineer
Engineering Dept.