Sergei Golubchik wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Mar 12, Martin Rode wrote:
> >
> > Now, unfortunately the FULLTEXT support as it stands right now has a few
> > drawbacks (all my tests where done with 3.23.33 and ~ 200000 rows (~
> > 60MB) in my test table.:
> >
> > - searches for words with hits < 100 are reasonably fast (<1 sec.)
> > - searches with hits > 100 can get REALLY slow.:
> >
> > 4538 rows in 12.19 sec: select id from axp_bild where match(caption_de,
> > caption_us, caption_fr) against ('Kohl');
> > 4998 rows in 6.09 sec: select id from axp_bild where upper(caption_de)
> > like '%KOHL%' or upper(caption_us) like '%KOHL%' or upper(caption_fr)
> > like '%KOHL%';
> >
> > -> mmhhh.... that makes me nervous! The FULLTEXT slower than full table
> > scan?
>
> It's easy to explain. Try them again. And in backward order. And again then ;-)
> The first query is always slower. Subsequents are faster as lots of data
> are already in the cache.

Mmmhhh.... you are right. It's not that bad. But still for new queries with new words
hardly get below 4 sec. search time for queries with numbers of matches > 1000.

> > default.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/F/u/Fulltext_features_to_appear_in_MySQL_4.0.html

Yes, I've seen that document, but what I am talking about the DEFAULT behavior if one
doesn't prefix the words with "+" or "-" should definitely "+".

"Aaaa Bbbb" should definitely execute as "+Aaaa +Bbbbb".

Regards,

Martin