FYI,

This problem got worse as more users began using the system.  I had to
revert back to 3.23.28, which did solve the problem.

I'm sorry that I didn't come up with a reproducible test case.  As near as
I could tell it seemed to be intermittent in nature.  Things would work,
then not work.  I had a couple hours where there were zero server crashes,
but in the last hour the crashes were continuous so I had to revert.

My system is a fairly complicate dynamic website, so it's hard to narrow
things down on the live site.  I'll try to reproduce it on my test system,
but it's hard to simulate the same levels of load (so far, I have no luck
reproducing it there).

-bill