Actually, I think it could work the other way around.
(Oops, this is off topic now.)

Informix (in version 9.2.something) has
what they call "virtual table interface"
and they provide an ODBC wrapper, I think.
So you might send your queries to Informix
and Informix could pass (parts of) them further to MySQL (via ODBC).
No idea what the performance could be though.

A safe bet is probably a script (in Perl?) you run regularly
to keep a copy of the important Informix tables on MySQL up to date.
Some timestamp mechanics and a sync state table will be involved, probably.

Jan