For the longest time, I'v ebacked up my various MySQL databases using
mysqldump.  However, I hated restarting the database each night (on a few
occasions it would restart but the databases could not be accessed until it
was restarted again)  Plus I think mysqlhotcopy is a more elegant solution.

OK, so I recently went ahead and tried using mysqlhotcopy.  Nothing fancy.

/usr/bin/mysqlhotcopy -u user -p pw --allowold --flushlog [names of 10
databases] /home/mysql/backup

When I run it manually, it works great.  Locks all the tables, copies the
files, wonderful.

However, I'm having trouble running it via a cron job.

My /etc/crontab entry runs the above command as user mysql (which has full
access to all the database files and the backup directory)

I always get the same error:

DBD::mysql::db do failed: Incorrect information in file:
'./slash/sortcodes.frm' at
/usr/bin/mysqlhotcopy line 381.

It occurs on different lines and on different tables in different
databases.  When I run the command manually the next morning - it works MOST
of the time though sometimes I do get the Incorrect information error then
too - trying again usually fixes it.

I've myisamchk'ed the tables - thinking that might be the issue - nope.

I searched the archives - couldn't really find anything about this.  Its a
RedHat 6.2 box running 3.23.35 and now .36  I'm using Perl 5.6.0 and my
version of DBI and DBD are up to date according to CPAN.

Any ideas?

Mike