On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Herman Pool wrote:

> Hi out there,
>
> I'm new with MySQL.
> I have installed Linux 6.0 and MySQL 3.23.33
>
> This happens when I want to create a database:
>
> [mysql@nestorix mysql]$ mysql
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 49 to server version: 3.23.33
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer
> mysql> create database java_db;
> ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'java_db'
> mysql> \q
> Bye
> [mysql@nestorix mysql]$
>

> Why?
> What did I do wrong?
> Any ideas?

You don't have the privileges to perform a CREATE command. This is part of the MySQL
authorization mechanism. From the error message I see that you are connected as user
'nobody', who most probably doesn't have such a privilege. Try connecting as the DB
admin (if you have that authority).
If not do a:

select user();
to see the username you are logged in under and then:

select * from mysql.user;

and check that the Create_priv column is set to 'Y' for this user. If this is 'N'
you'll have to check the mysql.db table and maybe even the mysql.host table.

To understand what's going on start reading at:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privileges.html

regards,
thalis