Hi All,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 02:28:05PM +0100, Rafael Martinez wrote:
> I am thinking to install our DB server in a 4-way machine with
> Intel Xeon processors/1MB cache. I can see in the mysql documentation that mysql
> works OK in a 2-way machine but that in a 4-way system has to be tested.
>
> Is this true? Or the documentation is not updated?
>
> Anybody out there with a 4-way machine that runs mysql without problems?
> (kernel 2.4.x glibc 2.2.12)

Yes. On a quad Xeon 500, 512kB cache with 3GB of memory, Dell PERC
2/DC (AMI Megaraid 1500 elite, I believe), 128MB battery backed cache
in write through mode, six 9Gb 10krpm disks in a raid5 with 128kB chunks,
running 2.4.2....

Uptime: 226134  Threads: 102  Questions: 368839757  Slow queries: 252  Opens: 30433
Flush tables: 127  Open tables: 336 Queries per second avg: 1631.067

...the machine barely breaks into a sweat. Note that the figure 1631 q/s
is averaged over the last couple of days.

In (exhaustive - I was leery of 2.4.x) testing, I managed to get this
machine digesting over six thousand *inserts* per *second* at one stage,
with the (four) perl+DBI scripts running on the same box!

Investigate using lvm on the box - being able to take regular (eg. hourly!)
self-consistent lvm snapshots of the database with a swift `FLUSH TABLES
WITH READ LOCK' quickly becomes indispensable.

Also, being able to stop the database, make a snapshot of the data,
blow away the binary update logs and restart the database in less
than one second makes setting up and resyncing slaves trivial.

Finally, consider reiserfs. It seems to be a smidgin faster than ext2.

ATB,
Wesley.