Well, clearly LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't set at startup. That's one of the reasons LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't really the Solaris way, and is not recommended. With a proper setup, you should never need LD_LIBRARY_PATH in Solaris.

In any version of Solaris, you can build with

  -R /usr/local/lib

to create executables which know to look in /usr/local/lib to find libraries at run time.

Starting with Solaris 8, you can use crle to add /usr/local/lib to the dynamic linker's path.

Michael

McAfee wrote:

I configured MySQL to start automatically on a Sun Ultra10 running Solaris 9 as per the installation instructions installing the following scripts/links:

- /etc/init.d/mysql
- /etc/rc3.d/S99mysql
- /etc/rc0.d/K01mysql

The MySQL daemon however failed to start at system startup. The .err log file contained the following...
--------
040814 21:27:55 mysqld started
ld.so.1: /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: fatal: libstdc++.so.5: open failed: No such file or directory
040814 21:27:56 mysqld ended
--------

libstdc++.so.5 does exist (located in '/usr/local/lib') and is set in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
I can however start/stop/interact successfully with MySQL from the command line!?!

I don't know how to correct this libstdc++.so.5 error...it exists. GRRRRR:-(

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme