> I know i have to connect first to the server. I tried issuing
> the command like this:
> mysql> mysql -h localhost -u root -p;
> but it says error in syntax. if i take out the semi colon,
> the shell would just add a '->' below.

You are already running mysql by typing that. You should have
read the last line when starting mysql:

mysql expects you to type in one of the commands listed by "help;"
or some SQL-statements.

There are some gui-tools for mysql-administration, e.g.
http://phpmyadmin.net
http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc/

> another that might be of interest, when my winmysqladmin runs
> at startup, in the environment tab says 'Not Found Driver
> 3.51 Not Found'. Is this related?

Not really. winmysqladmin looks for the MyODBC-driver. I don't
think you currently need that.

P.S.: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Regards,

TomH

--
PROSOFT EDV-Loesungen GmbH & Co. KG    phone: +49 941 / 78 88 7 - 121
Ladehofstrasse 28, D-93049 Regensburg cellphone: +49 174 / 41 94 97 0