----- Original Message -----
From: "Kapoor, Nishikant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 2:41 PM
Subject: very simple query but strange results

This little sql has me puzzled. Would appreciate your help.

mysql> drop table if exists T;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> create table T (title text, fulltext(title)) type=MyISAM;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into T values ('01 test'), ('test resource');
Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Records: 2  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> -- not working!!!!
mysql> SELECT title FROM T WHERE MATCH(title) AGAINST ('test');
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Why 'Empty set'? I expect to see two rows. What am I missing?

Thanks
Nishi

mysqladmin  Ver 8.40 Distrib 4.0.15, for mandrake-linux-gnu on i586
Server version          4.0.15
Protocol version        10

I'm not sure.

I haven't worked with fulltext searches myself but your question intrigued
me. I tried creating the same table you did and then ran the same query: I
had the same result you did.

I went to this page of the MySQL manual
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Fulltext_Search.html, but couldn't see any
obvious error in your query based on the rules I saw there. I tried setting
up the table that they used in their examples and it gave the same result
that they predicted.

The big difference between your example and theirs was that their example
had the fulltext() function applied to TWO columns, title and body, while
yours applied only to title.

I wonder if there is an unstated rule that the match() function must always
be used against at least two columns? That strikes me as a very odd design
for a function so it doesn't seem likely. However, I am at a loss to suggest
another explanation.

Perhaps someone with more experience with MATCH() or one of the MySQL
developers could enlighten us on the correct technique for searching a
single fulltext column.

Rhino