Firstly,
   I do appologize for my ignorance in advance. I read the message regarding PRODUCT()
and
thought to myself:"A perl interpreter can be run in a C program. Some one must have
written
a userdefined function that can execute perl code. Googling I found
http://software.tangent.org/download/myperl-0.8.tar.gz at http://tangent.org.
Looking at the readme file myperl is mysql userdefined function that executes
perl code contained in a table in the select statement. The command line
version of mysql also has the ability to start an editor. Theoretically,
one could:
1.  create a table:
 Create table user.sparky.functions
( name TEXT NOT NULL , code TEXT NOT NULL );
2. \e myfunc.mypl
3.  LOAD DATA IN FILE myfunc.mypl
 INTO TABLE user.sparky.functions;
4. /* assume no errors */
Select myfunc(code, colum_data)
from user.sparky.functions, data_table
where  (code = myperl_code ) and
    ( column_data = "what I am looking for" );

If and I stress if my assumptions are valid, then stored procedure calls could be
written in any interpreted language with an interpreter that can be linked into
mysql. Of course from a security stand point this could be dangerous but
chrooted brain dead interperter with limited functionality and limits
on the amount of disk space and memory that can be used should solve those problems.
One interesting consequence of the development of infrastructure to support
the development of stored procedure calls is that IDE developers that support
mysql would have new market to potentially exploit in a corporate enviroment
i.e. run code and get metrics such as how long it to process data i.e. Hi,Lo, Avg.
In conclusion, I appologize for my ignorance again however I must still ask:
Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?
Thank you,
Raymond