Ok, this makes a lot of sense now. (As usual, what seems like more work initially pays off in the end.)

Here's a specific question.

The parent project is called "TiM". We will, at times, want to pull out information for *everyone*. But more often we will want to pull out information just from sub-projects. One of these is "FPP" and another is "WW".

WW right now has only taken place once and did not have any further sub-divisions.

FPP will span about 5 years, and be divided into 3 groups (and possibly more after the initial pilot project).

The people who are in the first group of FPP participants are referred to as "FPP1", the second are "FPP2" (FPP3 has not started yet).

FPP1 involves 28 people broken down into 4 groups (FPP11, FPP12, FPP13, FPP14).

FPP2 involves 19 people broken down into 3 groups (FPP21, FPP22, FPP23).

I want to be able to match all those who are in the DB (i.e. "any TiM participant"), or just those who are in FPP, or just those who are in FPP1, or just those who are in FPP11 (or FPP23, etc).

I'm having trouble figuring out how to be that specific and that broad at the same time. Just not quite getting my head wrapped around it.

TjL