Hi

I use a system based on linux securuty model

create groups - this will define access to the data, so you need to group
the data - and encrypt data the group can access using the password
belonging to that group.

make users members of any number of groups, as required.

Users can then access any data they are untitled to, but  cannot read data
encrytped with a password they do not have access to.

You will need to use  software (php, C++, asp, whatever) to manage the
user/group system.

HTH

Peter