From: Eamon Daly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: On but off topic Putting a file in Ram

The reason I ask this here. Is I have graphics that are loaded by Mysql
and
was wondering if I can do the same for them since some of these sites can
call my server 10-20,000 times a day for that same graphic.

I assume you mean that you have image data stored in a MySQL table somewhere and are using a SELECT to fetch and serve it. I think the general consensus would be something along the lines of "Don't do that". Apache was /designed/ to serve files quickly, so let it do what it does best. Store just the filenames in MySQL and let Apache handle the rest. Once you've done that, you can do plenty of things to speed up or scale your system, such as mapping the files to memory with mod_file_cache, judicious use of a caching proxy, or the creation of a ramdisk.

Eamon Daly