Yes, mysql clustering is a ram only database.  It does not make sense to
use it if you have a very large database.

You can use master/slave functionality and use whatever table type you
like.  But using the newer clustering technology you have no choice but
to use the ndb table type which is ram only.

--
John A. McCaskey
Software Development Engineer