On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:17:17 +0000
Darryl Waterhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 10:08 -0600, gerald_clark wrote:
>

> > Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I have 3 snort sensors logging to a central mySQL database after two weeks
> > >the size of the database is about 3.3GB and the machine is getting slow,
> > >as i'm not used to be working with mySQL is my question how far can i go
> > >before the machine stop responding ?
> > >
> > >HP Pentium4 - 2.2mhz - 512 mb, 99% used and no swap, HD of 40GB.
> > >

> > I f  that is 99% disk used, you are already dead.
> > That is why it is slow.
> > You have no room to do anything.
> >

> To be fair Gerald, I think he means he's out of memory (correct me if
> I'm wrong here Pat), but you simply *must* allow the machine work space
> to work things out.
> Adding some swap will actually help.
>
> How active is the server?

Indeed its the memory, the computer has only mysql and apache on it installed,
not even a graphical interface.
There is a lot of data from the snort sensors that is getting inserted, and
from a console machine there is a lot of queyring to the db.

and for ansewring Jeff Smelser i have installed mysql 4.x on linux and then dit
from the commandline create database and then run the create table commands
from snort.

Patrick

--
"Uhura, signal our surrender"
 -- Kirk

"Captain!!??"
 -- Uhura

"We surrender!!"
 -- Kirk (Star Trek VI)

Fingerprint = 2792 057F C445 9486 F932 3AEA D3A3 1B0C 1059 273B
ICQ# 316932703
Registered Linux User #44550
http://counter.li.org