I have a MySQL DBMS running with a mysql DB that apparently is an InnoDB
DB, all other DBs in this DBMS are MyISAM.  When I try to upgrade, I get
the following output:

041215 16:41:53  mysqld started
InnoDB: Resetting space id's in the doublewrite buffer
041215 16:41:57  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 1404262
InnoDB: You are upgrading to an InnoDB version which allows multiple
InnoDB: tablespaces. Wait that purge and insert buffer merge run to
InnoDB: completion...
InnoDB: Full purge and insert buffer merge completed.
InnoDB: You have now successfully upgraded to the multiple tablespaces
InnoDB: format. You should NOT DOWNGRADE to an earlier version of
InnoDB: InnoDB! But if you absolutely need to downgrade, see
InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Multiple_tablespaces.html
InnoDB: for instructions.
041215 16:42:00 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql-4.1.7/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file:
'host.MYI' (errno: 2)
041215 16:42:00 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Can't find
file: 'host.MYI' (errno: 2)
041215 16:42:00  mysqld ended

Of course, there is no host.MYI because they are InnoDB and not MyISAM.

What could be causing this?

When I downgrade back to 4.0.21, I get a notice that the mysql DB
using InnoDB is successfully downgraded to <4.1.1-style without any
problem.

Please advise.

--
 Mark P. Hennessy