Michael, Gleb,

thanks a lot for your hints!
Now I know that "default database" means "current database".
And I did not find Section 13.3.2 in the fine manual because I searched for "default database" and we find the string "default (current) database" there :-( .

Regards,
    Frank.

Michael Stassen schrieb:

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Hello.

I searched a while but could not find an explanation.
So the question remains:
what is the "default database"?

See:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql_select_db.html

While it does explain default database, that page documents a function in the Mysql C API. That seems a strange place to send someone asking about character sets and ALTER TABLE, not C programming. Surely we can find better references. For example:

Set the default: USE dbname
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/USE.html>.

What is the default: SELECT DATABASE()
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Information_functions.html>

Michael

-- Dr. Frank Ullrich, DBA Netzwerkadministration Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625 Hannover E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Phone: +49 511 5352 587; FAX: +49 511 5352 538