In 4.0.x and 3.23.x a user with these permissions:
GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'bogus'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '7f8933111c70fb1d'

        could still change their own password with:
set password for bogus = password('bogus');

        After upgrading to 4.1.7 my users are getting this error:

ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'bogus'@'%' to database 'mysql'

I did run mysql_fix_privilege_tables after the upgrade but then had to change to using old_passwords because of application problems. The upgrade seemed to change the above grants to:
GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES ON *.* TO 'bogus'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '7f8933111c70fb1d'.

However, users still receive this error when trying to change their password with either set of grants. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason Joines