Has anyone used or built a db monitoring tool for MySQL?

I have come across various system-level heartbeat tools, but I am specifically looking for a solution that will work on Win2K Server and RedHat boxes, as we have several servers that each run different instances of mysql.

No replication or clustering here, just looking to get notification and execute some php if a specific db or table isn't accessible. I have a rough plan for making my own, but I thought I would check here to see if anyone had a suggestion...

Thanks,
~mathew