I had a previously stable 4.1.8-standard MYSQL install on OS X 10.3.x Server using the binaries supplied by MySQL.

Recently I have had multiple corruption issues with a database on multiple tables. I keep getting "[ERROR] Got error 127 when reading table" when trying to write to an effected table. I went so far as to delete entire tables and recreate them. I could reproduce the error from my default PHP and CLI attempts to write to the tables.

The only thing that I recently changed on the server was the location of the data directory.

The Mac OS X install / upgrade places the data in '/usr/local/mysql/data' where mysql is a symbolic link to the most recent version installed in /usr/local/.

I got tired of manually moving the data directory each time I upgraded so I created a /etc/my.cnf file and specified the new data dir location in /var/mysql/data/. I moved the old data for the last time checked the permissions and ownership and restarted mysql.

When I created the new my.cnf file I used the my-medium.cnf default example as detailed below:

[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
datadir         = /var/mysql/data/
#skip-locking
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 20M
sort_buffer_size = 20M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[myisamchk]
key_buffer = 20M
sort_buffer_size = 20M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

I have changed my my.cnf file to simply:

[mysqld]
datadir         = /var/mysql/data/

to see is one of these new parameters caused the problem

Because I had no my.cnf I suspect that this is the problem. I tried some Google and list searches with no meaningful results.

Any tips / pointers / suggestions would be great.

Dan T