Hmmmm...

It looks like you upgraded from a MySQL that doesn't know about
collations...

All the tables created with a version of MySQL that doesn't know about
collation are considered by a version that does know... being of collation
"latin1_swedish_ci"... (on columns where collation makes sense... I hope
this is implied...)

If you created the tables under 4.1.8... then ... then there is a problem...
are you sure MySQL is reading your CNF ? Is there another CNF that overrides
the one that has the desired settings ?

If not... then you will need to ALTER the table(s)... but be carefull...
ALTER them in 2 steps... ALTER all the columns in the table to a BINARY data
type... then ALTER the table's collation to the desired one... finaly ALTER
all columns back but now using the desired collation !!!

Hope this helps !

Gabriel PREDA
www.amr.ro
www.lgassociations.info