"Andy Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 18/03/2005 12:06:30:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried the following process in order to try and replicate a
database
> with InnoDB files:
>
> 1. created a new database in PHPMyAdmin
> 2. via command line, copied all the .frm files from the old database
> directory into the new database directory
> 3. changed all the ownership and permissions
> 4. restarted mysql
>
> The database is now recognised in PHPMyAdmin, but when I click on any of
the
> tables I get the message "cannot find [table].InnoDB". Originally, the
> tables in the source database were MyISAM and then converted to InnoDB.
> tried renaming one of the [table].frm files to [table].InnoDB, but now
this
> does not show up on the table list.
>
> I tried the described method as I have done this before with MyISAM
tables
> successfully.
>
> What am I missing? Or is a completely invalid way to move the database?

No, this is a completely invaild way to to copy InnoDB files. What you
previously did wit MyISDAM files was orbably to copy the .FRM (table
descriptor) file AND ALSO the .MYD (table data) and .MYI (Indexes) files.
This works for MyISAM, since each table is stored separately. However,
thei does not work for InnoDB tables, which are stored in a very different
fashion. InnoDB files are stored, all together, in files called ibdata*.
Yo cannot split separate tables.

As far as I know, there is no "file fiddling" way of doing what you wish
to achieve. You need, I guess, the InnoDB Hot Backup tool - see
http://www.innodb.com.

        Alec