I have been running into issues with MySQL table corruption issues on a couple of OS X systems. I end up with tables that need repair every day and some times multiples times per day. It's so bad now that I have a script that runs the mysql 'REPAIR TABLE...' command and then the myisamck command on all the tables afterwards.

I currently admin 3 OS X systems each with MySQL / PHP based websites:

 - G4 Tower with 10.2.x client
 - G4 Tower with 10.3.8 server
 - Dual G5 Xserve with 10.3.8 server

Each of the G4's exhibits the problem. I am only developing the G5 site and have not seen the issue yet on this system. On each system I upgraded the default Apple mysql install with the pkg installer supplied by MySQL. The 10.2 system I am still at MySQL 4.0.x and the 10.3 system I am at 4.1.10 (the latest release).

When I upgraded I did discover that there were some issues with the new version and the old Apple supplied build. Apple installs theirs in /bin/ and the MySQL package in /usr/local/bin/. Early on I was running my mysql* command i.e. myisamck etc with specifying a path. On the 10.2 system I ended up running the 3.* Apple versions of MySQL on my 4.x tables royally screwing them up. I went for far as to delete the old /bin/mysql* files. On the new 10.3 G4 system I learned from my mistakes in took care of he path issues right away so I am pretty sure that I did not cause the corruption by manually using the old /bin/ binaries.

I have a suspicion that this might still be part of the problem. I never had an issue with mysql when I was using MySQL 3.x. I built that 10.2 system when Jaguar was release (end of 2002 I believe) and it ran 24/7 and I cant recall ever seeing these issues before. I switched to 4.x for many of the new features that were lacking in 3.x.

I was wondering if any one else out there is running MySQL 4.x on OS X and has seen any issues in this regard. I have run Tech Tool on both systems and done full scans. I have a good UPS on both systems and the new 10.3 system had brand new drives. Given all of this I am convinced either I am unlucky and have some obscure issues on both systems or there is some issue with MySQL 4.x on OS X or a conflict somewhere with the older Apple versions supplied with the OS.

Thanks,

Dan T