A new server is about to arrive here and will have have 8x15K RPM spindles,
dual Opteron processors and 4GB of RAM, and will have around 100GB of
database (primarily stock market prices) - the SCSI controller will also
have battery-backed RAM too.  InnoDB will be used exclusively.

I've searched the list and seen varying reports of which Linux kernels work
best etc.

I'd be intersted to know the following:
a) Which 64 bit Linux distributions are good for the task?
b) Which 64 bit Linux distributions are bad for the task?
c) Any comments on kernels, particularly with regard to 64 bit support and
schedulers?  Any problems with the latest kernels (2.6.11 & 2.6.12-rcX)?
d) Any recommendations for RAID volume setup
e) Any MySQL optimisations for multiple spindles, onboard caching, stripe
sizes, RAID5 vs RAID10.
f) Any MySQL reliability settings to take into account the battery-backed
RAM on the RAID controller?

I'm happy to collate the responses into a summary too.

I'm aware of the following discussions which describes a reasonably grunty
Dual AMD system with a similar configuration to mine:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_ordered_April_2005
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_order_May_2004

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services
- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
  markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
www.premiumdata.net