-- How is 'xFxIxExLxDx1x' easier to search than 'FIELD1'?

It's not easier.  It is; however, accurate for the purpose at hand.
FIELD1 isn't completely inclusive...it would miss FIELD-1...

-- However, It seems to me that this kind of data manipulation
(cleanup) needs to happen BEFORE the data enters the databse.

Sometimes FIELD-1 is the ACTUAL data, with no erroneus
characters...and sometimes it is FIELD1 with an erroneous (or
unwanted) - character before the 1)...so cleaning the data would
actually be corrupting some of it.

I need to keep the data in it's original form, but also allow for
querying without worrying about the special characters inside the
column.

FYI, these are part numbers off of electronic components, many of them
coming from China...so, a Cisco part may have an MPN of RX321, or
RX321-TR...either is valid.  Now, the corresponding Chinese part
number for the first one, may come back as RX32-1...which is out of my
control.

Cleaning the data would be the wrong approach, because it would
actually invalidate the second Cisco part number, which MEANT to
include the special characters.

For this reason, the user wants to be able to search for 'RX321' and
'RX321TR' respectively, and not worry about whether the data is
erroneous or valid; just to basically ignore all the characters and
let a human decide what they want.

If you have a more elegant solution, I'm all ears :-).