On Jul 22, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Bruce Dembecki wrote:

So it appears I am having an issue with 4.1.13 which I'm guessing is a bug... wanted some input before I file it...

Setting up a new machine to take over for an old one, so it's clean, Operating System and some empty disks... the server does nothing other than MySQL so there are no other processes running. It has 16Gbytes of ram and the data disks are a 7 disk RAID5 array on a 2GBit/Sec Fiber Channel connection.

If I create my data directories and copy the "mysql" database from another server with a simple copy (mysql is myisam so it's no issue) I am ready to launch mysqld... When mysqld launches it of course needs to create my InnoDB data files and log files before it comes up...

I first did this under 4.1.13 Community edition and was SHOCKED by the results... one 2Gbyte shared data file for InnoDB, and 2 250Mbyte log files... what felt like an hour later it finished... Tried 4.1.13 Pro released today... same thing... Tried 4.1.12, better, still slower than I would expect, but better... let me quantify that a little. From the log files below you will see that the time to create the InnoDB files and get to the point of being ready to connect is:

MySQL 4.1.13 Pro:    54 minutes 51 seconds
MySQL 4.1.12 Standard: 4 minutes 16 seconds

Have you verified that actual queries are slow, or is it just the create? I'm wondering if this from the 4.1.13 changes could be the issue:

InnoDB: When creating or extending an InnoDB data file, allocate at most one megabyte at a time for initializing the file. Previously, InnoDB used to allocate and initialize 1 or 8 megabytes of memory, even if a few 16-kilobyte pages were to be written. This fix improves the performance of CREATE TABLE in innodb_file_per_table mode.

--Ware