Are you running the stock Apple MySQL install??

I went through this a few times. If so figure out where the default Apple install places the data dir.

The MySQL pkg installers will install everything in:

/usr/local/mysql/data/

where:

/usr/local/mysql/

is really a symbolic link to each incremental MySQL install. So if you install 4.1.13 you will have something like this...

/usr/local/mysql -> mysql-standard-4.1.13-apple-darwin7.9.0-powerpc
/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.13-apple-darwin7.9.0-powerpc
/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.12-apple-darwin7.9.0-powerpc

etc..

So each time you updgrade MySQL you need to manually move the data from dir to dir. I stopped this by creating a my.cf file and specifying a path for my data like /usr/local/data/mysql or /var/data/ mysql/

The upgrades are painless after that.

Now that being said there is a Apple tech note:

on MySQL upgrades.

To be safe you should dump your data as noted, upgrade (w/ the my.cf file added) and re-insert your data fresh.

Dan T