Im not sure if my experience will be of any help but
here it is:
I used a database with utf8 as default charset (you
can easily set this with mysql administrator) and the
columns that I needed to store Macedonian cyrilic
characters were varchar. Some letters were stored as
?. When I changed the column type to varbinary I was
able to store/retreive all the letters properly.
However if you change the type of the columns you
cannot use the mysql adminisators backup sql queries
to restore a database that contains utf8 characters
(at least I failed). Using a PHP script will help. For
those that use mySQL with some script language using
base64 encoding/decoding funtions for non latin1
letters is the safest way (however you cannot strictly
predict the lenght of the encoded string based on the
lenght of the plaintext).
best regards
---
Ace Dimitrievski,
research assistant,
Faculty of Electrical Engineering Skopje
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The older version is 4.xx.xx im not sure how to
tell.

> New version is 4.1.12
>
> Thank you,
> James

question.

> > Per my earlier response... What version of MySQL
is the old version
> > you refer to, what version is the new version you
refer to? With that
> > information someone here is more likely to be able
to tell you
> > something useful... without that you're not likely
to get much of a
> > response.
> >
> > Best Regards, Bruce
> >
> > On Aug 15, 2005, at 7:59 AM, James Sherwood wrote:
> >
> > > I am still having trouble with french characters
if anyone has ANY
> > > ideas, please help.
> > >
> > > We have installed the newest version of MySql
and cannot get it to
> > > play nice
> > > with French characters.  Our older version
worked fine.  The
> > > problem may (or
> > > may not) be that when we put the dump into the
new database(yes its
> > > default
> > > charset is Utf8) the default character set for
the table is Utf8
> > > but some
> > > fields are like this:
> > >
> > > 'Story' longtext character set latin1 NOT NULL
> > >
> > > We tried linking our tomcat to the old database
on the other server
> > > through
> > > this tomcat and everything works fine but when
we link the tomcat
> > > back to
> > > the new database, it will not play nice with
french characters.