If you suddenly are spiking in unauthenticated connections, you may be the target of a network attack. This could be just a random probe, you may be a random target or someone may be targeting you. Although if someone were specifically targeting you, you would probably be down.

I would check where the connections are coming from, especially if this amount of traffic is not typical. Perhaps you can set a filter on your router to limit the number of connections from that IP range or deny that range altogether. Normally you don't allow direct access to MySQL from the outside, access is usually done through SendMail/ Postifx or Apache (PHP, Perl, etc), but your requirements may be different.