Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply.
That is more or less what I was thinking too. (especially the ANT rant ;-)
I would be looking forward to read the paper in case its published one day.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan
http://www.be-known-online.com

Quoting "Douglas K. Fischer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

speculating about that IMO.

What Oracle will do with Innobase is Oracle's matter, not much use in

Sorry, I am going to disagree with that ;-), I am VERY WELL INTERESTED
how the
environment around Innobase / Innodb will change - and with it any
support
options and other impacts that might have for our company or any of our
customers.

I of course cannot speak for MySQL or any of the other affected parties,
but I have been very interested in this issue as we have many
high-profile clients who are going to start asking the same kinds of
questions very soon. As such, I have tried to be on top of this as much
as possible and will share what I believe:

Short-term, there is no real impact. MySQL and Innobase have an existing
contract that runs (approximately - don't know the exact date) through
the end of next year. As such, the existing terms will stay in place
through then at the minimum. The only potential impact before then would
involve the level of participation in Innobase employees with
troubleshooting, patching, and new InnoDB features. However, from what I
have heard third-hand, Heikki is continuing to assist as before. All in
all, I do not believe any MySQL customers have anything to be concerned
with before the end of next year.

I agree that at this point in time, it is impossible to tell exactly
what Oracle may or may not do with InnoDB. The exact terms of the
purchase of Innobase have not been disclosed, so it is unknown if they
are going to just acquire the rights to InnoDB and send Innobase
employees packing, if they are going to employ the Innobase employees,
if they are going to continue active development of InnoDB, etc. Any
guesses or statements by anyone other than upper management at Oracle is
mere speculation.

I can come up with a number of possible scenarios, but none of them
result in a "dead in the water" situation for any MySQL customers. Also,
there are a number of things MySQL can do to hedge their bets against
any decision Oracle may make regarding the future disposition of InnoDB.
My advice is to not worry too much about the Oracle situation for now.
Give MySQL some time to work through their options and let the
MySQL-Oracle "relationship" do what it may. I have started working on an
internal whitepaper to discuss the situation without all the FUD some
journalists and some other DB companies (think ANTs) have started
throwing around and to present a list of what I believe to be the most
likely outcomes based upon what is publicly known and what options exist
for MySQL and Oracle to take in this matter. Depending upon what
information may be out by then and on whether or not I can get
permission from upper management to release this paper into the open, I
would be willing to share my analysis openly.

I certainly understand the concerns that people have with this
development, but it is truly too early to make a knowledgable call - to
do so would be akin to speculating the World Series winner on opening day.

Cheers,

Doug