Hi all!

Rhino is fully correct, writing:
MySQL is like most other software; the higher version numbers indicate later
releases of the code and later releases have more features than earlier
releases. Therefore, 5.1 has more features than 5.0 and 5.0 has more
features than 4.1. To see the new features added in each of these versions,
see the appropriate manuals:
- New features in 4.1:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/nutshell-4-1-features.html
- New features in 5.0:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-5-0-nutshell.html

The developers at MySQL are currently working on 5.1; [[...]]

and (in his next mail):
> I meant to include a link for the features that are new to 5.1:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/roadmap.html

But Bing had asked:
> [[...]]  I know 5.0 has added more features.  Would 4.x
> eventually be obsolete and replaced by 5.x?  [[...]]

It seems appropriate to repeat what Kaj Arnö (MySQL) had posted to the "announce" list on Oct 24, 2005:

| Let me also underline that we continue to offer some earlier versions
| of MySQL Server for download. However, you should expect maintenance
| releases for earlier versions only in limited form:
|
| - for MySQL 4.1, only when serious bugs affecting significant user
|    groups are reported
|
| - for MySQL 4.0, only when security bugs are reported

So: Yes, 4.0 and 4.1 will in due time be obsolete, like 3.23 is already now.

For a new installation (production), we recommend to use 5.0;
for new development, testing on 5.1 should soon be an alternative.

For existing installations, we recommend to migrate towards 5.0.

Regards,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com