i got my initial problem figured out ...but now i am getting a bunch of
linker errors:

msvcprtd.lib(MSVCP60D.dll) : error LNK2005: "class
std::basic_ostream<char,struct std::char_traits<char> > & __cdecl
std::operator<<(class std::basic_ostream<char,struct std::char_traits<char>
> &,char const *)" (??6std@@YAAAV?$basic_ostream@DU?$cha
r_traits@D@std@@@0@AAV10@PBD@Z) already defined in
mysql++.lib(sql_query.obj)

the example program compiles fine though ... there must be a setting I am
missing in Visual C++ that is different in my project as opposed to the one
that comes with the example program, but I have no idea what it would be ..

Anyone have any ideas?

Ryan Gilfether
Programmer
Praxis, Inc.