I too have wondered this... it looks like the manual just says (in your
case) user 'b' will wait indefinitely for the lock held by user 'a' to be
released. Maybe you could just have user 'a' hold a READ or READ LOCAL lock
and not a WRITE lock, therefore user 'b' will still be able to do SELECTS
ok... ??

Patrick