I searched the other lists and couldn't find one that was more appropiate for
this question; if there is, please tell me so :)

I am monitoring networking equipment and so far I'm saving all my data in a
MySQL database (hence an email to this list). I'm using only VARCHARs because
the SNMP agent returns only strings and I didn't find enough a reason for
converting the different types of answers, since most string comparations are
donde correctly; I received both text and numbers from the monitoring tasks and
wanted to keep it simple.

However when I execute this select statement I am getting this problem:

select info_oficina,valorSNMP from ultimas_respuestas_snmp where
columna_donde_guardar='USO_CPU_1min' order by valorSNMP desc limit 10;

info_oficina     valorSNMP
CSF Desamparados         error
Periferica Palmares      4
CSF San Pedro    4
Sucursal Guapiles        4
Periferica Pentagono San Pablo   30
Periferica Tibas         3
Periferica Buenos Aires  3
Sucursal Turrialba       3
Ventanilla Florencia     3
CSF del Sur (Ciudad Neilly)      3

Where info_oficina, valorSNMP are columns, ultimas_respuestas_snmp is my table,
etc.

The summary question is:

given a column with the numbers 0 to 99 of type varchar, how can i tell MySQL
to order it as if they were integer values, so that instead of

99,98,97,96,95,94,93,92,91,90,9,89

I'd have

99,98,97,96,95,94,93,92,91,90,89,88

 Apparently, CAST() does not have an effect (but feel free to prove me wrong)

Thanks!

Ariel