On 07/03/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "insert_method" ??????
>
> I thought I knew a little about databases and table design but that's
> a new term for me. What does it mean and how would I apply it in
> order to modify a table's contents?

>From http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/merge-storage-engine.html:

"To create a MERGE table, you must specify a UNION=(list-of-tables)
clause that indicates which MyISAM tables you want to use as one. You
can optionally specify an INSERT_METHOD option if you want inserts for
the MERGE table to take place in the first or last table of the UNION
list. Use a value of FIRST or LAST to cause inserts to be made in the
first or last table, respectively. If you do not specify an
INSERT_METHOD option or if you specify it with a value of NO, attempts
to insert rows into the MERGE table result in an error."

--
felix