From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 1:08 PM
To: Sara Woglom
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to server

"Sara Woglom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/10/2006 11:54:03 AM:

> I have just installed MySQL 5.0, and I am unable to connect to it from
my
> own (remote) machine.  It all works fine when I open mysqladmin from the
> server itself, so I know the installation is OK.  I am working on a
small
> LAN of about 15 PCs.  When I try to telnet to the default port (3306), I
get
> the following error:
>
> Telnet to port 3306: Host 'my-machine-name' is not allowed to connect to
> this MySQL server
>
> I am not a network person so I am having some trouble.  Please advise if
> possible!

Good job on looking up that telnet test. Most newbies either don't or
won't look for just that simple bit of diagnostic information (thank
you!). The error you got is telling you that somewhere between your
machine and the server, you have been rejected from contacting that
server. Most likely it will be a firewall on the server itself but it
might be a switch between you and the server but I highly doubt it with
such a small LAN.

I would start at the server and check it for any kind of firewall program
and make sure that you open up port 3306 for inbound traffic.  If you get
very specific about what kind of OS your server is on, there may be some
people on this list that can help you find your firewall and poke a hole
through it for your DB to listen through.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine