Sachin Petkar wrote:
For some reason, MySQL 4.0.18 has suddenly stopped running and will not
start anymore.

It has been running for several weeks until about 5 days ago.  When I tried
to reach it, I discovered that it is no longer running.   However,
attempting to start it via the mysqld_safe script simply returns with:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
060402 18:49:55  mysqld ended

[1]    Done                          ./mysqld_safe --user mysql

To confirm, the /tmp/mysql.sock file does not exist at this point.

There are several possible reasons for this. One of the most common is inappropriate permissions on the files in /usr/local/mysql/data (they need to be readable and writable by the user under which mysql is run, usually "mysql")

The first thing you should do is check the error log file in /usr/local/mysql/data, on Mac OS X, usually named <hostname>.err

In a terminal window, typing:

tail   /usr/local/mysql/data/example.com.err

will give you the last few lines of this file and likely tell you what the specific problem is. It's possible you may need to be root or use sudo <command> to get permissions to read this file.

Another poster suggested verifying that MySQL is not running. In your case it has clearly stopped, but you can always verify that by using the ps command:

ps auwx | grep mysql

If it's running, you will see an item with "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld" in the list.

It was also suggested to us another utility other than safe_mysqld to start the mysql server. In most cases it is better to use safe_mysqld. Any special options you need can be specified in /etc/my.cnf. But it sounds like you are using the default installation, so everything should just work.

Eric

--
Eric Braswell
Web Manager     MySQL AB