Hi everyone.

I used to run mysql on a local server here, which has some databases which are very important to me on it. The server was running mysql on Arch Linux, but unfortunatly this crashed, I was not able to rebuild the operating system but I was able to recover the raw database files off of the hard disk. Is there a way of importing these to my MySQL 3.2 server? (I beleive that Arch Linux was running 5.0). I have tried simply placing them in the mysql database folder but I get errors such as "Incorrect information in file: './my0007/ee_pm.frm..." when I try and perform any operations in PhpMyAdmin.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to have to rebuilt the databases from scratch/

Cheers
Chris

Chris, you may be in luck. MySQL "MyISAM" table files are binary compatible across platforms. That is to say that database table files from Arch Linux will work fine on Mac, Solaris, Windows, etc., without modification. I'm not as familiar with InnoDB tablespaces but they may work as well. Definitely try this with a copy of your files, not the originals.

In all likelihood you need to update to at least the same version of the server software you were running on the now-crashed server. In other words, if you update to 5.0.x and place the table files in the proper path, you should be OK.

MySQL 3.2 is a very old version and likely simply isn't compatible with tables created in 5.0. If the situation were reversed (you had a 3.2 server that crashed and you wanted to bring the tables into 5.0) that might work fine.

Hope this helps,
Dan