My response is mixed with your original post...

--- Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> We are unable to create functions, views and stored procs from
> another
> machine.
>
> The error message is Access denied for user 'root'@'%' to database
> 'proplink'.

Then the user 'root' does not have permissions to do those actions from
a different machine than the server.

> Is there some permissions setting we need to set to allow a user to
> logon as
> root and run scripts to add,etc functions and procs from a machine
> other
> than the server?

Yes.  MySQL validates a login account not just against a name/password
combination but also against the IP address the client is connecting
from. All 3 pieces must exist before permissions are granted.

Here is the chapter of the manual that deals with logins and security.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/privilege-system.html

<snip>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Check the permissions for [EMAIL PROTECTED] by running the command

    SHOW GRANTS FOR 'root'@'%';

Then compare the results to

    SHOW GRANTS FOR 'root';

and you should see why your remote logins aren't able to do anything
you wanted them to do.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/show-grants.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator