Moritz Möller wrote:
Hi Dan,

there are about 2GB free, so the net size would still be 32 GB.

The queries are really optimized, >99.9% of all queries can be satisfied
without table scans.

Well, I guess I have to give NDB a chance, I hope it will help. The only
alternative I come to is to cluster the database on application level (use
server userID%numServers), which would be a [insert favourite non-swear-word
here] lot of work ;)

Hi Moritz!

There is an alternative solution than NdbCluster, and that would be to set up a replicated environment, and have commodity hardware slaves supply the bulk of the SELECT operations, with the 8-core machine used as the master replication database.

Your application server or web server would have to point SELECTs to the slaves for reporting purposes, and do writes to the master only. This is a cheap way to get scale-out performance from commodity hardware, and it is pretty customizable as far as the replicationi layout you would want...

For instance, you could have your application server direct a certain category of queries to one slave, and another category to another slave, depending on traffic conditions.

BTW, how many requests/sec are you averaging, and also, what is the percentage reads to writes in your database? You can get both answers from SHOW STATUS variables.

Cheers,

Jay