Kevin -

You can start up the MySQL server without password protection using the --skip-grant-tables option. Note that will leave your server wide open, so you may also want to use the --skip-networking option and access it through the socket on the same machine.

Something like this I think:
mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables --old-passwords --user=root --skip-networking &

I know that Apple has packaged at least one MySQL update into the OS X 10.4.x updates. Is it possible that you got upgraded to MySQL 4.x during an Apple update? Perhaps your 3.23 installation still lives somewhere but now 4.x gets started up by the OS?

Dan

Kevin Felix wrote:
Hi all,

I've been using MySQL for over a year now and I didn't install anything special recently, yet I suddenly find myself locked out of MySQL.

I'm using version 3.23.49 and I'm running Mac OS 10.4.6 fully up-to-date. I normally connect using the root-user but this afternoon I first got a socket error. Not the first time so I just reboot the server, socket error is gone but now I'm getting "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' ". I restarted the server a few times and even rebooted my system.

I can't connect using php, terminal, MySQL Administrator, ...

After a quick search on the http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/resetting-permissions.html page. I tried that but alas, no change...

This might be a good time to update to MySQL 4 if I can get my data out, but I don't see that happening without me getting access to the server once again.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you for your time
Kevin Felix
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (e-mail)