Env: Freebsd 6.0
MySql 4.1.18
Mem: 1GB(?) can not tell without rebooting
Disk Avail: 4GB

Problem: the table data is 4.5GB.
I created a temporary table sidtemp in the database snort by typing:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE sidtemp
SELECT cid FROM event
WHERE timestamp < '2006-05-01';

Query OK, 7501376 rows affected (36.38 sec)
Records: 7501376 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0

Next I want to delete all rows from the table data when data.cid =
sidtemp.cid
So I started the following command on Jul 5 at 16:44 GMT:
DELETE data FROM data JOIN sidtemp ON data.cid = sidtemp.cid

It is now Jul 7 19:56 GMT. I had forgotten how long it takes to run this
delete
 command as I recall it takes 15-20days on just one database. I have
two(2)
Databases with the same schema. The databases are live now and
Usually without executing this delete mysql  uses between 0-10%
Of the CPU. The delete is causing the mysql to use between 98-99% of the

CPU.

Any ideas on what I can do to speed up the Delete?

Thank you
Raymond