The problem is your GROUP BY on celec_id. MySQL is doing the grouping and thus only grabbing the first season_week_date value within the grouping. I'm not sure what end result your are looking for. Grouping additionally by season_week_date might be what you are looking for.
GROUP BY r.celeb_id, season_week_date

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steffan A. Cline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:33 AM
Subject: Group by with an IF

I have the following query:

select *,
if( season_week_date = "2006-08-16", "on", "off" ) as stat,
sum(overall_points) as total_points
from rosters r
left join celebs c
on c.celeb_id = r.celeb_id
where
season_id=5062
and user_id=1
group by r.celeb_id
order by overall_rank, ln, fn;

It almost works as expected however the problem I am concerned about is that
I never get a stat saying "On" after it resolves. Removing the sum() and
adding group I get the total_points as expected but now the results are
always off.

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 5 7 9 . 4 2 3 0 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
                                 Lasso Partner Alliance Member