I'm trying to get a second server running using mysql 4.1.15 on Mac OS X 10.3.9. I have one server running as my main development server, and would like a second to use for testing alternate DB Schema.

I've followed the instructions in the manual section 5.12.2 'running multiple servers on unix', but have only tried to use the instructions regarding running a second server from the same installation as the first. I gave the following command-line options to mysqld_safe:

--datadir=/path/to/alternate/datadir
--log-bin=testmysql-bin --port=3307
--socket=/tmp/testmysql.sock

where the path was one appropriate to my installation, but I got back an error saying:
A mysqld process already exists

Is it necessarry to also designate an alternate pid file for the test installation? Any other ideas why this fails?

Any suggestions for getting it to work without having to install an etirely separate mysql to run it off?

Thanks,

Cris Ewing
CME and Telehealth Web Services
Department of Radiology Web Services