Sounds like you need to configure a user that has SHUTDOWN privileges.
From: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqld-multi.html

 Make sure that the MySQL account used for stopping the mysqld servers
(with the mysqladmin program) has the same username and password for each
server. Also, make sure that the account has the SHUTDOWN  privilege. If
the servers that you want to manage have different usernames or passwords
for the administrative accounts, you might want to create an account on
each server that has the same username and password. For example, you
might set up a common multi_admin account by executing the following
commands for each server:

shell> mysql -u root -S /tmp/mysql.sock -p
Enter password:
mysql> GRANT SHUTDOWN ON *.*
    -> TO 'multi_admin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'multipass';

The username/password goes in your my.cnf under a [mysqld_multi] section.

Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Unix Systems Administrator