On Wednesday 21 February 2007 17:51, Paul McCullagh wrote:
> Hi Tim,
Hello Paul
> Foreign key definitions are parsed but ignored by MyISAM tables.
 Understood. Thanks
> Try InnoDB or PBXT (http://www.primebase.com/xt) :)
 for the time being, I'm going to stick with MyISAM. I've
 got a possible solution I will try later - and the target is
 a online accounting system for a *very* small company (mine)
 with a *very* small number of clients.

Here we go - it's weird, but it might work.
 I use a default value, which is itself a foreign key that
 point to a "meta-table"
  example
status int(6) default 1,
1 is the ID for a table with columns `ID` & 'descriptor`, where the
 desciptor field holds something like this "provider_status.ID.title"
 the script executes the "show cols" query, then queries the "metadata"
 table where  "provider_status.ID.title" tells the script to pull
 `ID' and `title' from provider_status and load the values into a
 select/option list form entity.

I'm sure that this will not be optimal performance-wise, but where speed
is not an issue, will save much coding time.
Since it will be the weekend before I try this out, I welcome observations
and any references to meta-data approaches using MySQL /MyISAM.

Thanks to everybody for the quick responses.
regards
--
Tim Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Palmer, Alaska, USA