In news:[EMAIL PROTECTED],
satimis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# /etc/init.d/mysqld restart
> Stopping MySQL:                                          [FAILED]
> Starting MySQL:                                            [  OK  ]

Ok, lets try it a different way, using only the above script to start/stop
the database. Find your MySQL configuration file. It's called 'my.cnf' and
usually is located in either /etc or /etc/mysql directory. Edit the file and
in [mysqld] section add:

skip-grant-tables

Then, execute the init script:

# /etc/init.d/mysqld restart

The database should start without privileges.
After setting up password, remove 'skip-grant-tables' parameter from the
config file and restart MySQL again.

Maciek