Hello John,

There is a tute of sorts at:

http://terra.tafe.tas.edu.au/~beechd/rdb/rdbd_mysql_intro.html

which will help if you have problems with the acces/privilege model.

Also: Have you installed an ODBC driver (MyODBC) correctly? and
set up a DSN?

It is most likely that the problem is an access issue and can be solved by
using GRANT eg
grant select on stusys.* to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' identified by 'joe'

David

On 26 May 2001, at 21:22, John C. Dale wrote:

> I'm using the mysql gui client on a windows machine and attempting to connect to
>mysql on a linux machine for the purpose of doing some database >design.  I
can't get a connection, however.

> I get the following error message:
> access denied for user <username>@<userip address> (using password: YES)
>
> I'm rather new to mysql, but have used oracle and sql server.  I was unable to find
>cookbook or tutorial for establishing a connection with the gui.  >I'm assuming
that there is something I need to do on the server->side to enable/facilitate this
remote connection.